Stories Summer Institute 2023
Workshop Dates: July 17 - July 28, 2023
Stories Summer Institute 2023: Movement & Migration
Donate to Support the Scholarship Fund
The Institute will be held from July 17-28 in a hybrid format.
- In-person components will take place July 17-21 and 28th at the Austin Central Library (710 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78701)
- Virtual, self-directed work will take place from July 22-27
Texas Folklife invites all community members, teachers, and school administrators interested in radio, podcasting, and folklore in the greater Austin area to participate in the Stories from Deep in the Heart Summer Institute, a two-week audio documentary production workshop. During the Summer Institute, participants will work in groups with professional media producers and folklorists to produce short podcasts and public radio-style audio documentaries on community traditions.
This is a hybrid program. Instruction will be held in person at The Austin Central Library on July 17-21, with individual work being conducted from July 22-27, and an in-person listening party on July 28.
This workshop is open to all Texas educators and community members, but please make sure you can attend in-person before you apply! Registration fees can be found below. Public Educators in Texas are eligible to participate for FREE!
Full participation in the Stories Summer Institute counts for 20 TEA-approved Continued Professional Education credits. Texas Folklife is an accredited provider. Certificates of completion will be awarded at the end of the Institute.
Applications are due by June 17th, 2023 at 11:59 PM. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by June 21st.
- Program Timeline
May 1 - June 14: Applications Accepted
June 21: Participants Notified
July 7: Registration Fee Deadline
July 17-21: In-Person Instruction at Austin Central Public Library (710 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78701)
July 22-27: Virtual Self-Directed Work
July 28: In-Person Listening Party
- Learning Objectives
- Learn audio documentation, and how to include these ideas into the classroom.
- Learn about the practice of folklore. There will be a folklorist guest instructor!
- Learn how to record and document at home.
- Experience using online software, audio recording, and editing tools.
See Past Project Examples on Texas Folklife's Soundcloud.
- Program Eligibility
To be eligible to participate, the following conditions need to apply:
- You must currently live in Texas.
- You must be a current K-12 educator with certification.
- You must have access to a computer and Internet connection.
- You must commit to attending the entire series (including in-person instruction in Austin) and produce one recording to be showcased on the Texas Folklife Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/texasfolklife
- Note: Community Members are eligible to apply as well, but educators will not be eligible to receive scholarship funds
Registration to participate in the Stories Summer Institute is $200.
Public educators teaching in the State of Texas are eligible for free participation thanks to the Nancye Raye Moses Scholarship. Learn more and support the scholarship here.
If you are in need of financial assistance to participate in the Stories Summer Institute can reach out to the Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.